Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 21- Three weeks....

Can you believe it's been three weeks? I have lost a sense of time. When we first went to the STICU at Hermann Hospital three weeks ago today, there were people in the waiting room who were family members of others who were already there. You get to know some of your waiting room buddies after a couple of days. A couple of moms had been there with their teenage sons for three weeks. I couldn't believe that when I heard it! I was pretty much in disbelief about a lot of things at that point. Surely we can't be up here for 3 weeks....

Those moms moved on eventually (actually they moved out to rehab). They were the lucky ones. Some never get the opportunity to leave. Such as the case of a family my sister got to know. They had been in the waiting room with us for about seven days. Their mom had fallen and broken an arm, and thus started having compications. We saw this family in the elevator, in the Hermann Cafe, in the hall. We got daily reports about their mom, and they always asked how Kenzy was doing. A very nice family. Yesterday morning their mom passed away. Yet in their grief, one of the guys handed my sister his business card with his email address. He wanted to stay in touch and know how Makenzie was doing.....

I am amazed at the compassion that people have even in difficult times. I am awed by the compassion and love so so many have felt for my family. Many of you have showered my sister and brother in law with acts of kindness and love. I can hardly comprehend it at times...

Makenzie is in a private room (and a big one for the time being! yeah!). Tomorrow the foot plastic guy will take the dressings off her left foot and check the grafts. Pray this is going well. She will begin physical therapy soon. We are just glad it's Friday honestly! Yeah! Rest, family, friends, weekend. We are so lucky to have made it off of that STICU floor. Praise God for that!

Makenzie has been playing around with her computer when she is not tired, so if you have her email address you can write her! I suspect she will be making an appearance on this blog before too long! She's even been reading it! So, you can post comments for her to read here!

Thanks for waiting tonight for me my friends!
Peace to you all...
Mary

6 comments:

  1. This is such a positive note, I am so glad to hear of her recovery process and to know that her pain level is more controlled. Pain is such a issue with so many patients and at times is so hard to handle. I am so thankful that the medications that she is getting is helping. I can only keep praying for the whole family and thank you mary for you many comments. There isnt a day go by that i do not think about kenzie multiple times. As i said before although I personally really do not know her the times i met her i knew what a strong person she is and how grounded. Many prayers are continued. God bless. Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to hear such a positive note today. Kenzie if you read this, I am so happy you are doing better. All the kids (Carson, Lindsey and Reid) and Mr. Fairbanks are always asking if I've heard how you're doing. They all keep up with this blog also. Praise the Lord for His healing power. I will continue to pray for rest and strength and continued healing. Love you all. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the progress she is making. The power of prayer does great things if we believe. That believe shows the progress she is making everyday. Tomorrow(Friday) is family day at School and also Culture Club is hosting their Native American exhibition. Im going to be MC and will ask for continued support. We all are praying for everyday healing. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....what wonderful, blessed news!!! We are praying that all goes well with her foot. And the fact that she is wanting her computer...well, that's a sign she's on the mend, for sure!!!! We'll continue to pray for her speedy recovery and for lots of rest for her, Pam and Chuck. Keep the updates coming!

    Jam Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome news, and truly makes this Friday the start of a great weekend!!! Kenzy - my family and I are proud of you, and pray for you daily. Keep your spirits up - you have an entire network of folks praying and looking after you... :)

    Kenzy - I'm going to share one of my favorite scriptures with you. This scripture is one I read EVERY day as a reminder of who He is, and what we have in Him if we simply believe...

    "The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, LORD, have NEVER forsaken those who seek You. Psalm 9:9-10

    Mary - thank you for the updates... We appreciate you! To Pam, Chuck, and Caleb - I pray for strength beyond understanding, for I know you guys are tired. Hang in there and let us know if we can do anything. :)

    Much love,
    Steven Placker

    ReplyDelete
  6. The power of the Lord is so great. Good news is so inspiring to hear. Makenzie, you keep on fighting for the healing from Him and it will be done. We will continue to pray for your recovery and for Chuck, Pam, and Caleb to have the continued strength to stand by and feel so helpless watch their loved one suffer so. We love all of you very much.

    Mary, again, our thanks to you for putting this out there for us to follow. The Lord is working through you in this way. Butch and Cindy

    ReplyDelete