Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 5- surgery day 3

Makenzie is on the Shock Trauma ICU floor at Hermann Hospital. Most of the people who are in this unit are car accident victims or gun shot victims. There are a lot of serious dilemmas that unfold here. It is not a happy place. There are family members that have been there for two & three weeks. They eat there, sleep there, stay there all day long. Waiting for news from surgeons.....waiting for scan results. Some of the patients go into surgery and don't come out. Some come out and do not have a good prognosis. Some never get better. Many have had sad scenarious long before their arrival here. Pam told me today of a guy who is in the unit and has been there for many days. No one ever visits him. How unbelievably sad.

Yesterday was a hard day on this floor. Makenzie was in surgery for many hours. The surgeons were supposed to repair both femurs. Due to the extensive damage, they could only get to the right leg. She lost a lot of blood and the docs decided to wait another day before tackling the left. She also has shown to have severe bruising on her lungs. Sometimes in surgery you get more information about what's going on: some of this news wasn't too great, and by the end of the day, everyone was weary. Other tragic accidents had arrived on the floor as well. Many heart breaking stories unfolding. Just not a good day for anyone in the unit.

The face surgery was scheduled for today. Honestly, after yesterday I was very down, sad, and just flat out scared. Didn't sleep much last night. Wracked to the core with worry, fear. Praying in an intercessory sort of way all night. Many of you have been there. Many of you know what it's like. Morning comes. Ugh. On my way to Hermann, I pleaded with God to do form me what I could not do for myself. I was worried for my sister, who was really down the night before. Please God help her. Please show up today.
Got off of the elevator on the wrong floor. Just shows ya how de-ranged I was. I was getting ready to get back on the elevator when I heard Pam call my name (what was she doing on the wrong floor?). "Hey, what are ya doing?" she asked? She was better, drinking coffee (a good Hines woman sign!), and stated that Makenzie was already in surgery. She even smiled. God showed up. The one thing I knew: though my I was weary, I knew that so many of you were praying for us, and that we were being lifted up. Today I was counting on you. Thank you from the depths of my heart. We needed a good day.

The surgery lasted about 10 hours. Lots of microsurgery on the nerves, plates for broken bones, and repair of her broken jaw. The surgeons stated that they were pleased with how things went. A long day, but a better day. Even the waiting room stories were more hopeful.
Makenzie will get some much needed rest tomorrow. There may or may not be anymore surgery this week depending on the situation with her left foot. If they decide to wait til next week, there will be one big huge surgery to repair the left leg, left ankle, and foot. This will take many hours. The docs want to make sure she's ready for it.
Tomorrow is Wednesday; a day or rest. Thursday is foot check day. Will let y'all know of any further developments. You never really know what's going to happen at STICU...
Further whopper surgery next week.....
Keep praying for the left leg and foot.
Pray that there will be no infections.
Pray for wisdom. Pray for the stregnth to endure.
Thank you again my brothers and sisters......
Mary

4 comments:

  1. One day at a time, Sweet Jesus! God grant Makenzie and the whole family peace, rest and healing. Thanks Mary you are performing a great task by keeping us all informed of Makenzie's recovery. Love you all, The Fairbanks Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday I am praying, I know it is such a tramatic time however keep your faith and believe in a higher power, for he is there and loves each and everyone of you. All my love.. jessica stokley and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for keeping us all informed. I know it's exhausting to spend hours at the hospital and then try to keep everyone updated. It is truly appreciated. We are all praying and looking forward to the blessing the Lord has for her to fully restore her body. God bless you all as you walk through this valley...our thoughts and prayers are with you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary-- If I were where Makenzie is, it would be very comforting to have a sister like you who cares so deeply, and is so tireless in being there through those dark days. Actually, I do have a sister like you, and that makes me appreciate you all the more. Your presence there must mean the world to her. God, bless you.

    Marty Phillips is my daughter-in-law. We see how deeply she feels about Mackenzie's injuries and her suffering. We all pray numerous times a day because God honors our petitioning him, and even tells us to do it. My wife Cheryl and I know how important it is from many events in our life. Thank you so much for being where you are, and writing this blog. If something should arise where we can help in any way, please contact Marty or us.

    David Phillips
    281-341-9320 ext 10

    ReplyDelete